Magnesium chloride is a common form of magnesium. Used as a supplement, it is important to help curb deficiency and encourage mineral intake. If you seek better sleep, ways to aid muscle recovery, magnesium chloride could be the solution.
Table of Contents:
- What is Magnesium Chloride?
- How BetterYou Uses Magnesium Chloride
- 6 Benefits of Magnesium Chloride
- Types of Magnesium Supplements
- How Much Magnesium Chloride Should I Take?
What is Magnesium Chloride?
Magnesium chloride is the active ingredient found in magnesium supplements. It’s chemical formula is MgCl and it is naturally occurring in lakes and seas. One of the benefits of magnesium is its availability in many different forms, such as flakes and oil.
Magnesium chloride is known as a salt. When we say this, this is not like table salt (which is sodium carbonate) or epsom salts (which are magnesium sulphate). In chemistry terms, a salt is what is made during a reaction with an acid and a base. Magnesium supplements are known as magnesium chloride hexahydrate, which is where magnesium ions (charged particles), chloride ions are available in a water soluble crystalline solution.
How BetterYou Uses Magnesium Chloride
Magnesium chloride can be used as magnesium supplements in order to help improve nutrient levels. Thanks to its availability as magnesium chloride, it can be added to supplements in many beneficial ways. Magnesium is a very important mineral - it supports the normal function of cells, nerves, muscles, bones, and the heart.
Magnesium chloride flakes can be used as bath soaks to help you relax, while exposing the skin to the vital nutrient. That way, you can wind down before bed, while enjoying magnesium bath flakes and soaks.
In other forms, such as magnesium creams you can apply the magnesium chloride formula to your skin. Like a regular moisturiser, it applies to the skin. Thanks to skin-kind ingredients, the creams are a unique and rejuvenating way to improve your wellbeing.
Magnesium Oil & Sprays
For magnesium sprays, you can choose where to apply, like the feet or legs, to help you relax and drift off to sleep. Thanks to its application as a supplement, experiencing its benefits are hassle-free.
Although you can get magnesium through your diet by eating foods rich in the mineral, supplementing it can encourage a proper dosage.
6 Benefits of Magnesium Chloride
Magnesium chloride benefits your health from helping you sleep, to helping you recover more quickly after exercise. The benefits of magnesium chloride include:
- Helping you sleep - Some people take magnesium for exhaustion to help with relaxation and sleep. Magnesium chloride supplements help you sleep by alerting the receptors in your brain that it is time to wind down and go to sleep. Magnesium supplements can help you sleep and help you feel well rested.
- Boosting energy levels - Magnesium chloride can contribute to energy levels because the mineral creates energy from food to make proteins. Supplements containing magnesium chloride, like energy supplements, can help you get an extra boost of energy when your levels are feeling low.
- Promoting exercise recovery - Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant. Magnesium moves sugar into your muscles and removes lactic acid. This means it could help to support your athletic performance. Thanks to these benefits, magnesium helps to relieve muscle tension after exercise so you can get back out sooner.
- Reduce risk of magnesium deficiency - Magnesium chloride can be applied to the skin as a fast and effective alternative to traditional tablets. Thus, helping you combat the side effects which come along with magnesium deficiency.
- Maintaining heart health - Magnesium chloride can be good for your heart too. The mineral helps muscles relax, so together with calcium (which makes muscles contract) it supports a regular heartbeat. Thus, calcium and magnesium work together to be good for your health.
- Improving mood - Another benefit of magnesium chloride is its job with serotonin, the brain's “feel good hormone”. The mineral regulates hormones such as serotonin and melatonin. Which means taking it could assist you with beating the winter blues and helping with sleep.
- Easy to supplement - Thanks to the way it is naturally occurring, magnesium chloride is effortless to supplement. Some nutrients are available as Oral Sprays, whereas you can also apply topical magnesium to the skin in the form of a body spray, or even soak it up in the bath.
Magnesium chloride can be found in a variety of supplements, and including it in your intake can help you to avoid deficiency and keep your levels at their optimum. To ensure you avoid the effects of deficiency, you can test your nutrient levels. With BetterYou’s Health Test Kits, you can easily check to see if you’re getting the right levels. That way, you can keep on top of your vitamins and minerals to see what supplements you might need.
Types of Magnesium Supplements
Supplementing magnesium chloride is a way to help encourage optimal intake without having to take a traditional tablet. Magnesium can be supplemented through transdermal methods for hassle-free and effective use. Discover your new favourite way to supplement magnesium chloride with BetterYou’s range:
- Magnesium sprays - The mineral oil used in our Magnesium Sprays is a concentration of magnesium chloride. Magnesium sprays are a quick and effective way to help your nutrient levels. Designed to be taken on the move, they are an easy pill-free solution to supplementation.
- Magnesium lotions - BetterYou magnesium lotions are easy to use and can encourage optimal vital mineral levels. Use them before or after exercise to support bone and muscle health. Magnesium benefits sleep and quietens the mind. It also moisturises and hydrates for healthy looking skin.
- Magnesium flakes - Magnesium Bath Flakes are a concentrated natural form of magnesium chloride. They are an effective way to enjoy the benefits of magnesium chloride in a bath. Expose and replenish your body with this essential mineral. When placed in warm water, the flakes dissolve, and the magnesium benefits the skin.
- Magnesium gel - BetterYou Magnesium Gel uses a targeted application technique to supplementation. The gel effectively provides the benefits of magnesium, ideal for use during exercise to aid muscle function and recovery.
- Magnesium body butter - Our BetterYou Magnesium Body Butter is a deeply rich, intensively moisturising body butter. It provides magnesium benefits to help you feel rested and relaxed while promoting muscle function.
Thanks to the benefits of magnesium chloride, magnesium supplements are easy to take. Even your little ones can have their share. Magnesium supplements for kids make getting their nutrients fun and hassle-free.
How Much Magnesium Chloride Should I Take?
According to the NHS, the amount of magnesium you need is:
- 300mg per day for men (aged 19–64)
- 270mg per day for women (aged 19–64 years)
It is important to note that there is no upper tolerable limit for transdermal magnesium. The upper limit for magnesium taken orally is 350 mg. Toxic symptoms from increased magnesium intake are not common as the body eliminates excess amounts, unless there are serious problems with kidney function.
One of the great things about magnesium is its natural muscle relaxant property, which means taking large doses orally can have a laxative effect. A magnesium benefit of BetterYou’s magnesium supplements is they don’t have the same effect because they don't pass through the digestive system.