The best supplements for perimenopause are those which support your health during this time. Perimenopause is a transitional period which is often the indicator of the beginning of menopause. This time can come with signs and symptoms which are debilitating to your everyday lives. Our guide highlights the best supplements to help relieve the symptoms of perimenopause.
What Are the Common Symptoms of Perimenopause?
Perimenopause means ‘around menopause’ and refers to the transitional period into menopause. It is the first stage of the menopause, and is the sign for a lot of women and people with periods that their body is changing.
The best supplements for menopause, and perimenopause, can help provide relief by easing the following signs:
During perimenopause, oestrogen levels fluctuate and the menstrual cycle becomes irregular. Many may turn to supplements for perimenopause to help soothe their symptoms.
The best vitamins for perimenopause symptoms are those which are convenient, and help support your health and wellbeing during this period. Our women’s health supplements are sprayed into your mouth, making them hassle-free and perfect for a busy lifestyle.
Magnesium Supplements for Difficulty Sleeping
Magnesium can help to support your quality of sleep during the perimenopause. This is because the fluctuating hormones cause symptoms which can disrupt your ability to drift off, such as hot flashes and headaches. Magnesium is one of the best supplements for perimenopause as it helps your brain receptors to switch off in preparation for sleep and to maintain a state of rest.
Magnesium supplements are the most convenient supplements for perimenopause, because they can be applied to the skin, rather than orally. Our supplements are made using magnesium chloride, which is one of the purest forms of the mineral. A benefit of magnesium is that this mineral can come in various forms.
- Magnesium Bath Flakes - Add these flakes to your bathwater to help increase your intake as you enjoy a soak which winds you down ready to sleep.
- Magnesium Creams - Blended with nourishing ingredients, these are the best supplements for perimenopause and hydrating your skin.
- Magnesium Sprays - Formulated to deliver a high dose of absorbable magnesium, these sprays support your sleep without you having to take a tablet.
Vitamin D & Vitamin B12 for Mood Swings
These vitamins for perimenopause can help to contribute to a more positive mindset. The hormonal fluctuations that are one of the most common symptoms of perimenopause cause mood swings and increased irritability.
Vitamin B supplements help to support natural energy production, which can help reduce tiredness and fatigue.
- Vitamin B12 is needed for the production of serotonin, the “feel good hormone” which helps regulate your mood.
- Vitamin B6 is required for the conversion of the amino acid L-DOPA into dopamine, and for converting the amino acid 5-HTP into serotonin. These are important neurotransmitters (chemical messengers within the body) that help you feel good.
Vitamin D supplements can help to control moods due to its role regulating serotonin, which can help you feel your best during the perimenopause. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with low mood, which can be exacerbated during perimenopause. Studies have shown that serotonin falls with decreased sun exposure due to a lack of vitamin D.
Vitamin D & K Supplements for Bone Turnover
When you go through perimenopause, the decline in oestrogen levels leads to increased bone loss. This can cause an increased risk of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis, resulting in fragile bones which may mean you’re more at risk of fractures.
- Vitamin D is one of the best vitamins for perimenopause to support strong bones. This bone supplement helps regulate the calcium and phosphorus in your bones, two minerals which contribute to bone strength.
- Vitamin K works alongside D to move calcium into your bones, meaning the mineral doesn’t deposit in your blood. Vitamin K supplements can be taken alongside vitamin D to support your bones during this time.
Vitamin E Supplements for Hot Flushes
Hot flushes are a very common symptom of perimenopause, and can be a real inconvenience as you navigate your day to day.
- These hot flushes are caused by a decrease in oestrogen levels which lead to fluctuations in other hormones that regulate the hypothalamus (a part of your brain which helps to keep your body in balance) and consequently, affect your temperature.
- Vitamin E benefits your immune system, helps maintain healthy skin, and could be one of the best vitamins for this perimenopause symptom.
- This study found that the vitamin can offer relief to this symptom.
- To further help relieve your hot flushes, dress in layers that you can remove as your temperature fluctuates.
Vitamin E Supplements for Vaginal Dryness
Vaginal dryness is a symptom which occurs due to the reduction of oestrogen that begins during perimenopause. It is also a symptom of the menopause, and can lead to discomfort during sex.
Oestrogen is so essential to lubrication, elasticity, and thickness of the vagina. When your oestrogen declines, you may experience dryness and inflammation. Vitamin E is known as the sex hormone, because the vitamin can help to regulate your sex hormones.
Soothe Your Symptoms with BetterYou Supplements
The best supplements for perimenopause symptoms are those which provide the optimal levels of essential vitamins and minerals you need during this time. Our pill-free supplements are specially formulated to deliver daily doses effectively and quickly, straight into the bloodstream. Support your body today with the best perimenopause and menopause supplements without having to swallow a tablet.